Sunday, January 3, 2010

Preparing for the New Year


In the final weeks of December, I decided to take some time away from the computer. We had an absolutely wonderful and peaceful Christmas and New Year. We relaxed at home for the holidays and then traveled to visit family last week. While the holidays were great, I am looking forward to getting back to our routine. However, I am slowly easing back into reality . . . it took me three days just to complete this post!

As I contemplate the new year, I realize that I am not one to make resolutions. However, at the beginning of every season, I set personal, home, and family goals. I print them out and keep them in the front of my Fly Lady Control Journal. I glance at them every time I open my journal!

For 2010, I plan to focus on my personal discipline. When my discipline is strong, everything seems to fall into place - my home, my time management skills, my prayer time, my relationships with my family, my energy level, etc. I am happier, healthier, and much more content when I practice self discipline.

Here are my goals for Winter 2010:

Personal:
1. Schedule daily quiet time for prayer and recitation of the Rosary. I also want to attend Eucharistic Adoration a few times a month.

2. Schedule more time to read for pleasure. Additionally, I need to schedule/limit time spent on the computer, television, and phone. They waste my precious time!

3. Spend more time on self-care. When I take care of myself, I am a much better wife and mother. I need to make sure I am getting more sleep, not skipping meals, getting showers . . .

Family:

1. Start a weekly family night - movie nights, game nights, special dinner/dessert nights, reading nights.

2. Start bedtime routine earlier so we have enough time to read with the girls each night.

Home:

1. Menu plan for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I also plan to work very hard to reduce our grocery bill. Over the last few weeks, I have been reading some great frugal cookbooks. I am excited to give some new recipes a try!

2. Declutter with an emphasis on our bedrooms. I want to create more of a haven in our bedroom, as well as in our girls' room, so it is a place we want to spend time in during the cold winter months.

What are your goals for the coming year? I would love to hear them!

2 comments:

  1. Have your read Bon appetit's Fast Easy Fresh cookbook? All healthy, quick recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen that cookbook. Can I borrow it sometime? I have been reading Family Feasts for $75 a Week by Mary Ostyn, The $5 Dinner Mom Cookbook by Erin Chase, The Tight Budget Cookbook by Heidi Smalheiser, and Make It Fast, Cook It Slow by Stephanie O'Dea. All great ones!

    ReplyDelete