Thursday, January 14, 2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Have you ever made your own laundry detergent?

A friend was looking for a recipe so I dug this one up from my files, and I thought I would share it. I do not remember where I found this. I use a HE washing machine so I have never tried making my own detergent:

Homemade Laundry Detergent

1/3 bar Fels Naptha, Ivory Soap or homemade goat milk soap

½ cup washing soda

½ cup borax powder

*You should be able to find the Fels Naptha, washing soda, and borax in the laundry aisle.

You will also need a small bucket, about 2 gallon size

Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts. Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket. Now add your soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel. You use ½ cup per load.

Does anyone have a laundry detergent recipe that is appropriate for a HE washer?

No comments:

Post a Comment