Monday, August 20, 2012

Freezer Smoothies


We absolutely love smoothies in our house!  They are an easy way to pack in great nutrition, and they are very kid-friendly.

We like a variety of smoothies, but this summer our recent favorites were:
1. Whole apple, frozen banana, strawberry, chia seeds.
2. Strawberry, frozen banana, chia seeds, whole milk plain yogurt with a dash of homemade vanilla.
3.  Peaches or blueberries, frozen banana, chia seeds, and whole milk plain yogurt with a dash of homemade vanilla.

I was able to use a lot of local produce that we picked ourselves or bought from the farmer's market.


I almost always use frozen bananas because they give the smoothies an added creaminess. I buy a lot of bananas when they are on sale. When they get brown, soft, and mushy, I throw them in a Ziplock bag and freeze them. 

I also like to make green smoothies by adding veges like spinach, peas, or carrots.  For the frozen smoothies, I stuck to fruit because I have a feeling they would be a dull gray color after I defrosted them.  I am not sure dull gray smoothies would be attractive to my young kids!


I love these BPA free Ball brand freezer cups.  I use them to make freezer jam and to portion and store grab-and-go snacks. I have seen them at Wal Mart and Target.  They are also the perfect size for freezer smoothies!

Today, I made a triple batch of smoothies and froze them.  As the school year starts, I will pull them out the night before to use for breakfast or snack!

What are your favorite smoothie concoctions?

 
Follow Blessed and Busy by signing up to receive email updates. You can also follow Blessed and Busy on facebook or on twitter to keep up on new posts. Hope to see you soon!


1 comment:

  1. heather thank you for posting this. Rylan mentioned that he wanted to eat more smoothies , and I think if I put them frozen in his lumchbox, they will be thawed enough to eat by lunchtime. Liz

    ReplyDelete