Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sunday Football Favorite Crockpot Recipe

I love love love my crock pot. It treats me like a queen, it does what I ask, it is very flexible and forgiving, it makes my life easy, it does not talk back . . . you get the picture.

Why do I love it so? Let me count the ways:

1. As I write this, I am nursing my sick baby. I also have a sick 3 year old. By 5:00 p.m., I will have two sick, cranky little girls not to mention two tired, hungry school girls.
With dinner in the crock, I can tend to everybody's needs and still have a hot, nutritious dinner on the table.

2. Thursdays. My two older girls have dance class on Thursday. How else can I feed them early and still have a hot meal ready for my husband and two little ones while we are gone?

3. Summer. Hot meal, cool kitchen. Enough said.

While I can go on and on, here is my Steeler Sunday Football Favorite Crock Pot Recipe (not the most nutritious but darn is it sooooooo good!) By the way, this is not exactly a "recipe" so feel free to add and delete ingredients for your own taste.

Crock Italian Sausage Sandwiches:

Brown a package of Italian Sausage in a skillet with a little water. I prefer Extra Hot Sausage!
Throw sausage in the crock with:
One box of Pomi Chopped Tomatoes. Do not drain.
One large can of tomato sauce
One chopped onion
One chopped green pepper

Cook on low for 4-6 hours.

Serve on soft hoagie rolls.

These sandwiches are so delicious especially as the juice soaks into the bun. Now the key to my sandwiches is the crock I choose to cook them in:
On another crock pot note, I was very excited to receive my copy of Make It Fast, Cook It Slow. The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking by Stephanie O'Dea , founder of http://crockpot365.blogspot.com. While I have not had a chance to make any recipes from the book yet, it really looks promising. It has recipes for beverages to desserts and everything in between. Check it out!
Pictured here is my everyday crock that I purchased last year at Target for $15. While I love it, I am interested in investing in another crock pot with automatic settings and all the bells and whistles.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

3 comments:

  1. GREAT!!! recipe for the boys on football sunday. I always make sandwiches for them and I think this will be a GREAT!!! recipe to try.
    What a great purchase for only $15.
    I will have to become a Proud Member of Catholic Mothers Online. I didn't know about this site.
    I have become a follower of your blog. I like the name Blessed and Busy. My grandma always said you are blessed when you're busy, so get busy. Come by and visit my blog and maybe do the same. I love to share recipe. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome recipe - my hubby and FIL would love this!

    I'm in the market for a new crockpot myself -- I'd love one with a timer, but don't have any recommendations yet... sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Stephanie!! You will not be disappointed by her cookbook... she is spot on!

    I have a SmartCooker and love it. I am pretty sure it is a 6 qt.

    You set the 'timer' for 4 hrs, or 6 hrs, or 8 or 10. No matter what time I am 'finally' getting dinner in the crock, the timer can be set and it is done when I need it to be according to our schedule that day. Can't go wrong.

    Got it at Target 3 yrs ago and I use it at least once a week, but generally more than like 2-4 times per week. It is my lifesaver.

    Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete